1kg oxtail, cut into small pieces
3 potatoes, cubed
4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 large carrot, cut into large chunks
1 large onion, sectioned
1 bell pepper, cut into squares
1 whole head of garlic, crushed
1 1/2 star anise, keep it whole
5g white peppercorns, coarsely ground
1 bay leaf
45ml Worcestershire sauce
15ml light soya sauce
5g freshly crushed black pepper
45ml olive oil
1 litre beef stock
1.2 litres water
1. Cut two potatoes into large chunks. Cut the remaining potato into bite-sized pieces.
2. Season the oxtail with coarse black pepper and one teaspoon of salt.
3. In a pan, heat the olive oil and butter. Pan-fry the oxtail over medium heat until browned.4. Transfer the browned meat into a sturdy pot.
5. In the pan, slightly brown the potatoes and onion.
6. Transfer to the pot and add the beef stock and 1.2 litres water. Bring to a boil.
7. Add carrots, tomato, bell pepper, garlic, ginger, star anise, cloves, bay leaf and peppercorns to the pot.
8. Add the Worcestershire sauce and light soya sauce. Bring to a rolling boil for 15 minutes and continue to boil over medium-low heat for 1 hour 15 minutes.
9. Season with salt.
10. Mix 3 tablespoons of cornflour with 3 tablespoons of water. Add the cornflour mixture into the pot, stirring.
11. Let it come to a boil, then serve.