Labouyi Banane is a warm, hearty and delicious breakfast that is a great alternative to oatmeal and Cream of Wheat. The velvety consistency and warming spices will have you coming back for more!
- 1 green plantain
- 2 c. water
- 1 can of Evaporated milk
- Cinnamon- 2 sticks and teaspoon of powder
- Vanilla extract- ½ teaspoon
- Ginger for extra zest
- 3 star anise
- Sugar (preferably brown) and to your desired sweetness
- Pinch of salt
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yields 4 servings
1. Cut the plantain (skin on) in small chunks
2. Add 2 cups of water and blend in blender until smooth. Transfer to amedium-sized pot and turn on medium heat and stir. The color will chance a bit due to oxidation, but will change to a caramel color as it starts to cook.
3. Add two cinnamon sticks and a teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Make sure you stir often.
4. Stir often and watch consistency! As the liquid reduces and starts to thicken, add another
¼- ½ cup of water to continue to cook the plantain through for another 4 minutes.
5. Add one can of evaporated milk, pinch of salt, vanilla and sugar to your desired sweetness. Stir and allow to come to a simmer.
6. Grate about a teaspoon of ginger and stir into mixture. Continue to cook on low heat and add star anise.
7. Allow to thicken to a Cream of Wheat-like consistency
8. Garnish with star anise and enjoy!