With chilly mornings among us, the bowl of cold cereal and fruit wasn’t doing it for me anymore. I desperately needed something hearty to get me through my morning (along with nearly an entire pot of coffee, but that’s a different story). So, in searching for something a little more hearty, I played around in the kitchen with ingredients that I already had on hand and came up with my own ‘Harvest Oatmeal’. Not only was it yummy, but it could also be prepared ahead of time. Win, win in my book. So exactly what is a ‘Harvest Oatmeal’? Well to make it very simple (since the full recipe is listed below): old fashioned oatmeal mixed with a mashed sweet potato and assortment of spices, then topped with rosemary brown sugar walnuts by Kinderhook Snacks. Now if this doesn’t scream autumn and Thanksgiving, I don’t know what else does. If you are a lover of breakfast, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, fall or good food (lol) this is a MUST TRY.
Ingredients [Serves 2]
- 1 cup oats
- 1-3/4 cup of Milk (Soy, Almond, 2%) [OPTIONAL]
- 1 sweet potato
- .5-1oz raisins
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Kinderhook Rosemary Brown Sugar Walnuts
Flavors To Try: Maple Syrup, Honey, Cayenne, Dates, Figs, Whatever else your heart desires
1. Peel and cube sweet potato. Add to boiling water (lightly salted). Cook until tender.
2. In a bowl mash sweet potato with a masher.
3. In a separate pot, prepare oatmeal. Boil water or milk and stir in oats. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat. (Stir occasionally).
3. Mix mashed sweet potato and cooked oatmeal. Combine with raisins, chia seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Top with Kinderhook Rosemary Brown Sugar Walnuts