If there are two cuisines that perfectly sum up my childhood, it’s Ethiopian and Italian. I ate lasagna, pizza and cannolis just as often as I dug into injera, tibs and doro wot. This recipe below for my spicy Ethiopian inspired flatbread, puts a spin on the flavours I grew up on. I use Silsy- a quick and spicy Ethiopian tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and naan as the base (because who doesn’t love naan?) to make a remixed pizza or Ethiopian inspired flatbread as I call it to fancy it up. This recipe is simple, delicious and thanks to Lilydale’s Oven Roasted Carved Chicken- it’s very fully cooked so it’s easy to add to any recipe. Lilydale has a number of poultry products that will cut down your cook time and turn up your flavour, for a twist you can add Lilydale’s Turkey Bacon to your flatbread instead of chicken.
This year marks Lilydale’s 75th year and to celebrate we’re giving away coupons to their products for FREE to a lucky winner. All you have to do is follow @LilydaleCanada and let them know what you would whip up in the kitchen with Lilydale’s products.
Note: There will be extra sauce. Why? Because sauce makes everything taste better. I put spoonfuls of extra sauce on the flatbread or place in a mini jar of sauce nearby for dipping.
– 1 Jar of pureed tomatoes (690 grams)
– 3 Cloves of garlic
– 1 Medium onion
– 3 TSP of Berbere Spice (Ethiopian spice blend)
– Naan Bread
– 3 Large bell peppers (multiple colours)
– 1 Red onion
– 1 package ( 400g) Lilydale Oven Roasted Carved Chicken
– 2 packs (190 grams each) of shredded mozzarella cheese
Serves 5 (2 Naan flatbreads each)
Cook time: 45 mins
- Chop 1 medium onion finely and add to a hot and oiled pot. Cook down the onions on med high till the onions begin to caramelize, then add 3 cloves of crushed garlic, and 3 large tablespoons of Berbere spice.
- Stir the mixture and add 1 jar of pureed tomatoes and a quarter cup of water if the mixture becomes too thick. Add salt to taste and let the sauce simmer and cook down till it reaches the consistency you desire.
- Thinly slice bell pepper & red onions then set aside along with the shredded mozzarella. Slice the Lilydale Oven Roasted Carved chicken into smaller pieces and begin to assemble the flatbread.
- Add the tomato sauce to the Naan bread, top with sliced red onions, bell peppers, Lilydale Oven Roasted Carved chicken and cheese.
- Place the flatbreads into a preheated oven and bake for 15-20 mins at 350 Fahrenheit.
- Serve hot and garnish with cilantro. Don’t forget to serve the additional sauce for dipping! Enjoy!
This recipe post is #sponsored by Lilydale Canada. We love their products and are sure you will too! Be sure to follow @LilydaleCanada to enter the giveaway.