The good thing is you don’t have to wait for another party, lime or fete or trip to the islands to try this. My friends at Twice the Spice shared their Trini Corn Soup recipe us. Twice de Spice is made up of twin sisters and cooking pair Marida and Narida. Former Master Chef Canada contestants, their Trini heritage influences their catering and products.
Corn soup is also great for the fall. Use it to warm you up!
This recipe requires a considerable amount of chopping! It’s not as simple as other recipes we feature but it is definitely worth the extra effort!
- 1 c chopped carrot
- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 c chopped celery
- 1 c chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro or Chandon Beni
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato chopped in chunks
- 1 large white potato chopped in chunks
- 1 small squash chopped in chunk
- 4 ears of corn cut in rounds
- 1 can of creamed corn
- 6 okras cut into small pieces
- 6 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 scotch bonnet (optional)** Be very careful, it’s super spicy so do not chop it-add it in whole
- Salt & Pepper
**Add coconut milk for an even richer flavour
**If you don’t have squash add another sweet potato
- On medium heat, sauté garlic, onions, carrots, celery and green pepper in olive oil until tender.
- Add thyme, okra, creamed corn, scotch bonnet (leave whole) and stock and bring to a boil
- Add potato, sweet potato and squash until soft
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add corn and cook for another 15 mins
- Finish with chopped cilantro